Recently, when trying to install Office 365 Dirsync, I ran into an issue with the installation of .NET 3.5.1 as a feature. I received the error:
The Source files could not be found
Since this was a newly installed server, it was baffling as to what the issue was. After some troubleshooting, I determined there were two causes:
- The windows Component Store was damaged
- A hotfix KB2966827 had already been installed that causes this issue.
To resolve these issues, I did the following:
- I ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to repair the Component Store. (http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/11/30/how-to-troubleshoot-error-0x800f081f-when-installing-roles-and-features.aspx)
- I determined if KB2966826, KB2966827, or KB2966828 were installed, and uninstalled them until after .NET 3.5.1 was installed. (http://www.askvg.com/fix-0x800f0906-and-0x800f081f-error-messages-while-installing-net-framework-3-5-in-windows-8/) After installing .Net 3.5.1, you can safely re-install the hotfixes.